The Principal is Mrs. Michelle Briggs. The Acting Deputy Principal is Ms. Mary Giles.
Junior Infants: Mrs. Ciara Kavanagh, Mrs. Lisa Anderson, Ms. Mary Giles and Ms. Lisa O'Sullivan
Senior Infants: Ms. Aoife Flynn, Ms. Ciara Quinn and Ms. Emar O'Connor.
First Class: Ms. Jennifer Dowling, Ms. Alex Penkert, Ms. Kayleigh Power and Ms. Rebecca Shelly.
Second Class: Mrs. Catherine Casey, Ms. Jade O Sullivan and Ms. Lauren Scanlon.
Special Education Teachers (SET) support children in a variety of ways such as, in class literacy/numeracy groups, wellbeing and language support.
Our SET team: Mrs. Niamh Kindlon, Ms. Susan Sheppard, Ms. Claire Phelan, Mrs. Susan D’Arcy, Mrs. Ruth Walsh, Ms. Emma Pettit and Mrs. Maria Gahan.
Home School Community Liaison Teacher: Mrs. Brona Clancy
School based Family Play Therapist: Ms. Elaine Burke
Administrative Staff: Ms. Fionnuala Brett, Mrs. Tina Burns and Ms. Audrey McGarrigle.
Caretaker: Mr. Jim Dudley
Cleaning Staff: Mrs. Eleanor McGuire and Ms. Queen Iwheta
Board of Management
The Board of Management manages the school on behalf of our patron, the Bishop of Waterford and Lismore and is accountable to both the patron and the Minister of Education.
The Board upholds the ethos of Holy Family Junior School and is accountable to the patron for doing so.
The Board meets at least five times during each school year, where a variety of topics are discussed including current educational issues, budgeting, curriculum, policy development, employment and forward planning.
Each Board of Management serves a four year term and our current Board was elected in November 2019.
The Chairperson of our Board is Mr. Sean Dower.
The first Mercy school opened on August 20th 1900 at Philip Street, with an enrolment of 216.
The new school catered for the poor and underprivileged of the city. It was so successful that by 1906, 400 students were enrolled. Night classes were offered between 1906 and 1918.
In 1920, a full Montessori programme was established in the Junior Section of St. Otterans School, Philip St and was available free to children of the vicinity. In 1961 the building was demolished and Montessori teaching continued in the new school premises on Military Road.
The Holy Family Junior School was opened on December 9th 1961.
Our Lady of Mercy Senior school was officially opened in February 1965.
The education of the children of the area has continued under the careful eye of the Sisters of Mercy. Among the many legacies of the Mercy Sisters are a love of art, drama and music which continue today.
The Mercy Sisters have always responded to changes and challenges of economic development with vision and confidence. Today this is reflected in our mission statement:
‘Together we encourage, enable and educate’.